IBM installation manager (IM) is a centralized solution managing WebSphere, rational and tivoli software on a machine. IM can perform installations, modify and update existing installation and un-installation of the products. IM also has a feature to manage the license of the software installed.
Note: There can only be one IM per machine
Installing IM is straight forward. However you need to be aware of few directories that IM will use.
- Binaries : IM installation binaries directory.
- agentDataLocation: well, how does IM keeps track of all software installed, their versions, license etc..? Data location is the answer. If the datalocation is deleted or corrupted, IM cannot retrieve the details of the installed product.
- SharedResources: This is an interesting directory. IM will keep a copy of all the files that you install here. This directory must be very large and make sure, you have enough space for future upgrades, patches etc… Why IM does needs all the files here? I don’t have a assured answer but one of the uses, i observed is when you do an upgrade, fixpack or patch.. IM will check the sharedResources directory and sync the files with the new version of binaries/fixpack/patch.
How do i find where my IM is installed?
Open the user_home/etc/.ibm/registry/InstallationManager.dat file
How do i find which version of IM is installed?
How do i find where is the agentDataLocation?
Check the config.ini under install_dir/IBM/InstallationManager/eclipse/configuration
So, what’s there under agentDataLocation?
Here some of the important directories
- .settings -> Preferences
- histories -> Contains information about previous installations and uninstall procedures
- installRegistry.xml -> Contains information about known profiles and installed packages
- installRegistry -> Metadata for installed offerings
- installed.xml -> Contains information about the set of installation locations and installed packages
- logs -> Agent log files
- pluginState -> Contains Eclipse plug-in state information and the Eclipse error log file
- temp -> Contains temporary file during installation
- uninstall -> Contains an executable file and other files needed for uninstalling packages
What are repositories?
OK. Repositories are where the binary package sits. You’ll get a repository from IBM site and place it on the server. This repository will have a file names repository.config. If you reference/add this respository.config file in IM, them IM knows that there is a software available.
For example: you’ve downloaded WAS855 package from IBM site and copied that to /Software directory on the server. Then you open IM and add the package by referencing to repository.config file of the WAS855 package under /software. Now start your IM and then select install , you can see WAS855 is available.
How to use IM
I wrote an article in 2012 here [this includes screenshots of each feature]
version-1 added on 18/10/2013